2017-2018 FAFSA is available starting October 1, 2016
Starting Fall 2016:
- The 2017-2018 FAFSA will be released and available for completion on October 1, 2016.
- This is three months earlier than previous years. In addition to the earlier release date, the FAFSA process will now be based on tax information from two years prior to the FAFSA. In other words, you will be able to use 2015 taxes on the 2017-2018 FAFSA.
- The US Department of Education is encouraging schools to release initial award offers earlier in light of the earlier availability of the FAFSA. UNM's new priority date will be Friday, January 6, 2017. Be sure to submit your FAFSA by then for best possible consideration. If any additional documents are requested to complete your file, the new date for submitting those documents will be January 31, 2017. We anticipate releasing initial award offers for the 2017-2018 year by mid-February 2017, which is approximately 6 weeks earlier than in previous years.
- FAFSA Filing 17/18 Day – Financial Aid Department will assist student/parents with the 17/18 FAFSA application to meet the priority deadline (January 6, 2017) on:
- November 9, 2016 from 8am to 8pm at the Financial Aid Department.
- December 7, 2016 from 8am to 8pm at the Financial Aid Department
- The UNM Gallup Financial Aid Office is happy to assist students when filing their FAFSA applications, we are also available Monday through Friday 8am to 4 pm. Log on to www.FAFSA.ed.gov to apply for Title IV funding.